Tool Cabinet, base, finish

I glued up the base and left in clamps overnight.  I decided to go non-old-school and used some titebond for the glue-up.  This evening I cleaned up the dovetails and did a final smooth planing.  Here are the shots before final cleanup.  I think I had done a few passes with my LN smoother already (which I freshly sharpened for this operation).

After getting the pins and tails flush with the sides, I put it’s first coat of finish on.  To be sure they were flush I used my ultra precise feeler gauges, aka my fingers.  I could also see the shavings coming out of the mouth and hear when the end grain was getting cut versus both end grain and long grain.  I left my iPod for this operation.

On cherry I really love how Waterlox original looks.  I use a technique Bob van Dyke showed us at the CVSW–wet sanding in the varnish and letting it sit for a little while, and then wiping off any excess.  Yes, Waterlox is a true varnish and you don’t have to wipe it off, but on something like cherry or walnut, this seems to help do some grain filling without having to get out the burlap.  Bob suggests using 0000 steel wool, but I don’t like using steel wool since I sometimes work on my guitars in my same shop.  And they have magnetic pickups which will attract any little steel wool bits.  So I usually use a synthetic pad, but I ran out prior to this project.  I did have some wet-dry paper, so I used 400 grit for the wet sanding.

This one turned out pretty good, I think I might use it in my revolving banner photos.

A few gaps here and there, but they are getting better.  I noticed (and remembered) that the first pair I cut have more gaps than the 2nd (they are in reverse order here).

After cutting the dovetails I realized I hadn’t put in the rabbet for the cabinet.  Doh!  So I tried cutting some stopped rabbets on the sides, but frankly they were turning into a major pain, so I just ran the rabbet plane through the pin and figured I would do the old ‘cover with molding’ routine.  But I went another direction and did some little fake pins with (slightly gappy) miters.  I think the end result will look cleaner from a few feet away even if up close they don’t look great.  Obviously the best solution would be to have planned the rabbet first and just cut the miters in the original wood.  Ah well, live and learn.  The nice thing (in a way) is that this mistake will stare me in the face each time I reach into the cabinet and serve as a gentle reminder.

And from the front with a coat of finish.

I got an order in from bolt depot with a whole slew of slotted screws.  I think my hardware problem stems mostly from the crappy screws that come with most hinges.  I was able to get the hinges on the doors easy peasy.  Now if I can just manage to cut the hinge mortise on the cabinet cleanly, this project will be just a few coats of finish away from being put to work.

Advertisements
Previous Post
Leave a comment

1 Comment

  1. Good to see some more woodwork on here, thanks for the details in word and photo.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: